Source: The Telegraph
Wooden “plates” used by restaurants pose a food poisoning risk to people eating from them, a council has warned as it issued a £50,000 fine to a steakhouse where 14 people fell ill.
Birmingham City Council brought the case against Ibrahim’s Grill and Steak House because it kept using the boards to serve food.
In October 2016, inspectors visited the premises in Acocks Green, Birmingham, after a food poisoning outbreak affected a party of 14.
A number of issues of concern were found, including a high level reliance being placed on the use of disposable gloves, rather than staff washing hands.
The cleaning of the premises was poor and sanitising chemicals were also not being used in accordance with manufacturer instructions.
In addition, wooden plates which were incapable of being cleaned were being used to serve the food, the city’s magistrates’ court heard.
When they returned two months later after serving improvement notices, it was found that whilst food handling had improved, the wooden plates were still being used.
The company entered a guilty plea to failing to comply with a hygiene improvement notice by continuing to use the wooden plates.
It was fined £50,000, and told to pay £670 costs and a £120 victim surcharge.
Mark Croxford, Head of Environmental Health at the council, said “It is completely unacceptable for businesses to put the health of people eating at their restaurants at risk.
“The owners were given sound advice which they chose to ignore. I am pleased magistrates supported our efforts with a large fine and hope advice we give on improving businesses to protect health will not be ignored in future.”
The council said on Twitter: “Wooden plates could pose a risk of food poisoning to anyone eating from them.”