It seems that as an industry we’re always on the back-foot being blamed for making people fat and shortening their lives, but here’s our chance to get on the front-foot and run with a really good way-of-eating which ticks all the health boxes and is delicious and convenient.
So why The Mediterranean Diet and why now … because our researchers tell us that The Mediterranean Diet is a perfect point where scientific understanding meets consumer needs.
And when it makes headlines like Mediterranean Diet can add 15 years to life” we know it’s something worth looking into.
Consumers already know a healthy diet means eating more salad, fruit, veg, beans, fish and white meat.
They also think they should eating less red meat, dairy and carbs … but they don’t yet realise that these life-style trends are the essence of The Mediterranean Diet.
And they also don’t know that really robust euro-science is proving that eating and drinking the Mediterranean way reduces cancer, stroke, diabetes and heart problems.
Not only that but a Mediterranean Diet is easy to follow, tastes wonderful and has a lower impact on the planet so it’s bang on trend.
So we asked the eminent Dr Simon Poole to design and chair a seminar for us. Simon is not only an acclaimed speaker and author on the subject of diet and health but he works closely with the BMA and he’s also a busy GP and in his spare time has written The Taste Of The Mediterranean “Ten Steps To A Healthier Life” which you can download by clicking here.
Simon has invited his international collaborators to speak at our seminar.
Dr Antonia Trichopoulou is joining us from The University Of Athens to give us the science directly from the source. Antonia is leading the Greek segment of EPIC which is the biggest study ever into the links between nutrition and other diseases.
Also Sara Baer-Sinnot President of Oldways is flying over from the US to brief us. Oldways is America’s leading nutrition and health NGO> Sara has been instrumental in popularising Diet Pyramids.
In addition to these international speakers, Simon has brought together retailers, researchers and case studies to create a brilliant day which will make sure we are totally inspired by this subject and able to take it back profitably into our businesses.
Simon and his colleagues are producing a report on The Opportunity For Mediterranean Foods, and you’ll get a free copy when you come to the seminar.
THE MEDITERRANEAN DIET, NEW SCIENCE, NEW TRENDS.
Dr Simon Poole GP, and author of The Taste Of The Mediterranean – Ten Steps To A Healther Life.
• Why The Mediterranean Diet is set to be the next big food and drink trend.
• Consumer awareness, health communication and opportunities for innovation.
• Oils and individual components of the diet – the antioxidant story.
• The role for Public Health, Government and Industry.
• Special occasion and everyday, it’s about ingredients not recipes.
WHY THE MEDITERRANEAN DIET IS THE GOLD STANDARD.
Dr. Antonia Trichopoulou, Associate Professor of Preventive Medicine and Nutrition, University of Athens.
• The Mediterranean Diet, health and longevity.
• Busting the myths of dietary fats.
• The Mediterranean Diet and diabetes.
• The Mediterranean Diet and weight maintenance.
• A review of global research.
CONSUMER SEGMENTATION AND SENTIMENT ON MEDITERRANEAN INGREDIENTS AND EATING.
Sally Campbell, Research Director, Ipsos MORI.
• Specially commissioned research for the FDIN Mediterranean Diet Seminar which will be conducted in May 2012.
• 1000 respondents involved in the Ipsos MORI on-line social space.
• Quant data enriched by consumer engagement and sentiment.
This research alone would cost you many times the seminar price. By coming to the seminar de-brief you have access to the researchers themselves for further clarification and detail.
THE ASDA APPROACH TO SPECIALITY PRODUCT LAUNCHES.
Mehul Patel and Catherine Sordy, ASDA Category Specialists.
• Mediterranean Products getting them Right First Time.
• The rise in demand for authentic Mediterranean products.
• Being truly local – connecting with the community and meeting their shopping needs.
• A retailers view of “The Mediterranean Consumer”.
• How ASDA identifies upcoming trends and markets.
THE MEDITERRANEAN FOODS ALLIANCE – HOW ANCIENT WISDOM FEEDS MODERN IDEAS.
Sara Baer-Sinnot President of Oldways, A nonprofit food and nutrition education organisation.
• Insight into the benefits of the Pyramid and discussing the growth of the Mediterranean Foods Alliance.
• Promoting the science of diet and lifestyle.
• Dietary pyramids – visual communication.
• Engaging the public and consumers – the experience from the USA.
• The Oldways initiative – how it works.
• Oldways and the Mediterranean Food Alliance – partnership working with industry.
CAPITALISING ON THE MEDITERRANEAN DIET – FROM TREND TO REVENUE.
Sam Waterfall – Senior Partner, Healthy Marketing Team.
• Previous food trends and how you can use them to profit.
• How to position your Mediterranean Diet concept.
• How to test your Med Diet concept before you launch.
• Transparency and sustainability – when and how to use them (and when not to).
• 4 Rules for successfully commercialising a trend (3 case studies).
LOW FAT & LOW SODIUM AND CURED MEATS IN THE MED COUNTRIES.
Mandy Collins, National Accounts Manager, The Food Resource..
• What’s on sale in the Med Countries and why.
• Producing new healthy produces, some pro’s and con’s.
• Consumer’s perception: does the UK need/want “healthier” cured meats?
• Are “healthier” meats affordable for the UK?
• What about pizza toppings/ready meals – a willingness to change.
Plus more case studies to be confirmed.
• Three table team brainstormings so you can work with peers on how to take forward your new ideas.
• End of the day Q & A … a chance to pose your questions to the panel of experts.
• A chance to win a Magnum of Finest Champagne.
Staverton Park Conference Centre, Daventry, Northants.
Directions are on the Staverton Park Website
Doors open for early birds: 8:00 am
Breakfast for all from: 8:00 am
Seminar begins: 9:00 am
Coffee/Buffet Lunch/Tea: TBC
Seminar finishes: 4:45 pm latest
£425 + VAT.
(Don’t let the low price fool you, we’re a non commercial best practice club and run the best attended seminars in the industry).
10% early bird discount if you book on before the end of April.
20% discount for booking two places at the same time.
30% discount for booking three places.
For more information or to book a place please click here to visit the seminar page.