When the Food and Drink Innovation Network, FDIN, ran their first FreeFrom seminar in 2006 there were just a few products struggling with the usual technical issues and vague legislation.
Now FreeFrom has come into the mainstream and while it is a life saver for some, it is presented as a lifestyle choice for many.
As one of the world’s fastest growing sectors gluten-free food alone is predicted to be nearing $5 billion by 2015 and the UK is in the lead.
Seminar chair Michelle Berriedale-Johnson, food historian and cookery writer, became involved in freefrom when her small son was diagnosed as dairy intolerant in the late 1980s.
A pioneer manufacturer of FreeFrom, Michelle runs five large websites devoted to allergy and freefrom – and the hugely successful annual FreeFrom Food Awards.
For this best-ever FreeFrom seminar she will take us through making the most of this extraordinary category with reports on global trends and and local preferences, technical problems and the latest solutions, nutritional goals for products – what to take out, but what to put in.
Attendants will be debriefed on some research carried out exclusively for the FDIN by McCallum Leyton, which alone would cost you thousands if you commissioned it yourself!
How irresistible is that? And by attending the de-brief at the seminar you get access to the researchers themselves for further insight.
Plus FDIN have some really inspiring case studies where allergy and intolerance sufferers have made their own products and turned them into a commercial success.
And, of course, the seminars cover how to develop a retailer brand strategy.
Book early to assure your place at this seminar and take advantage of our generous ‘early bird’ and multiple bookings discounts – See below for details.
CHAIR’S OPENING REMARKS – THE PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE OF FREEFROM.
Michelle Berriedale-Johnson of FreeFromFoodsMatter and the FreeFrom Food Awards.
• Understanding where freefrom came from – the medical, social and manufacturing background.
• Understanding where it is now – growing awareness, growing availability, improving quality, vaulting ambition!
• Understanding where it could go – becoming the option of choice in retail and food service.
FREEFROM FOODS – PRODUCTS LAUNCHED WORLDWIDE.
David Jago – Global Research Director – Mintel.
• The number of new products introduced remains high.
• The focus for NPD in the UK and overseas.
• Leading FreeFrom countries, and leading categories.
• Nutrition versus lifestyle, what is the best position for NPD?
• Where will the markets go?
EXCLUSIVE FREE FROM CONSUMERS AND SHOPPER RESEARCH DEBRIEF.
Julia Horlov – Partner and Head of Qualitative Research – McCallum Layton.
Debrief from specially commissioned depth interviews, accompanied shopping and vox-pops. This research alone would cost you many times the seminar price. And by coming to the seminar de-brief you have access to the researchers themselves for further clarification and detail.
• What do consumers want from the category?
• Ready made FreeFrom foods versus replacement ingredients?
• The role of price and brand in the total proposition?
• Labelling and warnings the do’s and don’ts.
• Shopper dynamics; category considerations, signposting psychology and online developments.
TESTING AND REGULATION
Mike Bromley – Director – of Genon Laboratories
• Understanding the regulations governing freefrom foods.
• What testing needs to be done over and above other non-freefrom foods
• Levels and threshholds – the bane of the freefrom industry!
THE NUTRITIONAL PROFILE OF FREE FROM
Micky Rose is a nutritionist with a special interest in freefrom food, being herself, intolerant of all grains.
• Who needs freefrom food and why they need it?
• What FreeFrom foods needs to provide in terms of nutrition?
• Nutritional pitfalls of manufacturing freefrom.
• Nutritional potential of alternative ‘freefrom’ ingredients.
GENIUS GLUTEN FREE – FROM SCHOOL FETE TO TESCO.
Lucinda Bruce Gardyne – Founder and MD – Genius Gluten Free.
Less that four years ago Lucinda was making her gluten free loaves for her son to take to his school party – now they are being exported to Canada! She will advise on how to navigate the rollercoaster road that turns a domestic success into a global brand.
CELTIC CHOCOLATES– PIONEERS IN DAIRY FREE CHOCOLATE.
Joe Callery – Founder and MD of Celtic Chocolates.
Joe Callery started Celtic Chocolates in 1990 with a gas ring and two 30 gallon melting kettles for the chocolate. Twenty years later Celtic Chocolates is a multi million pound operation, the driving force behind FreeFrom milk-free, gluten-free, sugar-free chocolate, supplying most of the major supermarkets as well as creating a successful FreeFrom brand of its own.
GLUTEN FREE START UP.
Charlotte Pike – Founder and MD – Go Free Foods
The growth FreeFrom market has been fueled by start-up companies run by enthusiasts with their own needs wanting to share their discoveries. One of last year’s start-ups, Go Free Foods, won the Scone and Brownie category at the 2011 Freefrom Food Awards with its chocolate brownies.
FREE FROM ON LINE.
Lesley Cutts – Founder & MD – Goodness Direct.
Established eight years ago, Goodness Direct both manufactures FreeFrom and sells it on line. It offers ambient frozen, drinks, supplements, baby foods, and household goods.
• Three table team brainstormings so you can work with peers on how to take forward your new ideas.
• End of the day Q & A … a chance to pose your questions to the panel of experts.
• A chance to win a Magnum of Finest Champagne.
Doors open for early birds: 8:00 am.
Breakfast for all from: 8:00 am.
Seminar begins: 9:00 am.
Coffee/Buffet Lunch/Tea: TBC
4:45pm (Latest) Seminar finishes.
£425 + VAT
**** DISCOUNTS ****
10% Discount for booking before the end of July.
20% discount for booking two places at the same time.
30% discount for booking three places.
The Staverton Park Conference Centre, Daventry Northants.
For more information or to book click here to visit the website.