Doves Farm Self Raising Gluten and Wheat Free Flour Blend was recently announced winner of the FAIR Trophy for the best FreeFrom Food 2011.
Sponsored by Juvela, the awards took place on Wednesday 6th April at Kew Bridge Steam Museum where nearly 200 freefrom food manufacturers and food and health writers tested out gluten-free beers amongst the museum’s massive purring engines while celebrity chef and freefrom-manufacturer, Antony Worrall Thompson presented the awards.
Founder of the Freefrom Food Awards Michelle Berriedale Johnson said: “Ask any freefrom’ cook what is the most useful ingredient in their kitchen and they will say, reliable gluten-free flour.
“Ask them which flour they use and the chances are that it will be Doves Farm.
“So it is fantastic to see one of Doves Farm’s most successful flours get the recognition that they all deserve.”
Antony Worrall Thompson said: “I’m delighted for Doves Farm. Every cook needs to rely upon high quality ingredients to produce great results.
“Doves Farm seems to have got it right across so much of its range, and I hope that many more people will get creative and swap wheat and gluten free
flour into their cooking either through dietary need or as part of following a healthy lifestyle.”
Close contenders for the FAIR Trophy included:
- Delamere Dairy Goats Butter
- Dietary Specials Ciabatta Rolls
- Doves Farm Batter Mix and Biscuit Crumb for Cheesecakes
Sponsored again this year by Livwell, the Innovation Award for the most innovative product in 2011 was won by Mamma Cucina Gluten, Wheat, Dairy and Egg-Free Vegetarian Quiche. ‘
“Amazing”, said the judges, “Mamma Cucina have managed to create a perfectly pleasant, enjoyable quiche without using wheat, dairy products or eggs, all normally considered essential ingredients in any quiche.
“A genuinely innovative product for those with multiple allergies or intolerances.”
Individual category winners included:
- Delamere Dairy Goat’s Butter (Dairy and / or lactose free animal milk, butter & yoghurt)
- Nature’s Path Organic Mesa Sunrise (Breakfast Cereals)
- Dietary Specials Ciabatta Rolls (Breads and Bread Mixes)
- Hale & Hearty Quinoa and Rice Penne (Pasta and Pizza Bases / Mixes)
- Go Free Foods Chocolate & Almond Brownies (Scones, Sweet Tarts, Bakewells, Flapjacks & Brownies)
- Pourtoi Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies (Sweet Biscuits & Cookies)
- Marks & Spencer’s Almond Frangipan Traybake (Cakes, Muffins and Cake & Muffin Mixes)
- BoojaBooja Stuff in a Tub Hunky Punky Chocolate (Puddings, Sweet Pies, Desserts & Cheesecake)
- Sainsbury Freefrom Christmas Pudding (Christmas Products)
- Green’s Bottle Refermented Blonde Ale (Gluten Free Beer)
And joint winners included:
- Doves Farm Batter Mix and Doves Farm Fairtrade Biscuit Crumb (new Food Service Category)
- Rice Dream and Le Sojami Fresh Soy Pate with Olives (Plant milks, spreads and cheese)
- Look What We Found Spiced Lamb Meat Balls and The Black Farmer Premium Pork
- Sausages (Savoury pies, flans, pizzas and ready meals)
- Clearspring Organic Rice Cakes – Sea Vegetable & Black Pepper and Clearspring Organic
- Rice Cakes – Tamari & Black Sesame (Savoury biscuits and snacks)
- Go Do Chocolate Bar, Conscious Food Ginger Crunch (Chocolate and sweet snacks)
This was the fourth of the annual Freefrom Food Awards, the only industry awards to celebrate excellence in this rapidly expanding sector which is anticipated to reach a turnover of around £300million in the UK and $2.6 billion worldwide by 2012.
The awards were founded by www.foodsmatter.com, the influential website and information source which logs over half a million hits on its 3,000 plus pages every month and includes the only dedicated site covering all aspects of freeform food.
Full details including websites and judges comments on all winners click here to visit the website.