Following a successful Christmas, which saw Thorntons sales in the total boxed chocolate category grow by 54% year-on-year, Thorntons is significantly growing its 2010 Easter range available through the commercial channel. The range has been extended due to a 32 per cent year-on-year increase in Easter egg sales in 2009.
The seasonal range of 13 products will include three brand new lines as well as nine popular seasonal products that have been updated with new, eye-catching packaging. The range is available at varying price points between 69p for the Praline Treat Egg and £15 for the Large Premium Collection Milk Easter Egg.
Thorntons Easter range includes traditional Easter eggs such as the Moments, Special Toffee, 70% Dark and Classic Collection Easter eggs. In response to the success of the impulse products available in 2009, Thorntons has launched three brand new impulse offerings this year: the Praline Treat Egg (RRP 69p) and boy and girl lollipops (RRP 99p), which are part of a broader children’s range designed to capitalise on the success of products aimed at kids last year.
The company says the children’s range is an important part of Thorntons seasonal offering.
Due to the popularity of the football and princess eggs last year, priced at £2.99 RRP they will be back once again this Easter. The Bunny Pals (RRP £3.99) are also back, a cute pair of milk and white chocolate bunnies, which are made using Thorntons trademark intricate chocolate moulds and as with all of Thorntons Easter range, made with only the best quality milk chocolate, with no artificial colours and flavours.
We’re told that “For a little self-indulgence, the Praline impulse egg (RRP 69p) is a tasty treat – a praline centre encased in a milk chocolate shell and crammed with finely chopped nut pieces, ideal for till counter positioning.”
Barry Bloomer, MD of Thorntons Sales and Operations, says:
“Easter is a crucial seasonal trading period, and our research has found that Easter gifting is becoming far more traditional and focused on an individual’s own children. Therefore, we believe that the new children’s products, which include the introduction of the three impulse lines, reflect those insights. We are also confident that our existing best-sellers such as the Moments, Premium Collection and Classic Collection Easter eggs will continue to drive growth – both for the brand and the category.”
The range of 13 Thorntons Easter products will be available to supermarkets and convenience stores from February onwards. For further stockist enquiries, please contact the Commercial department at Thorntons on 01773 542392.
• Thorntons is the number one ‘Chocolate and Confectionery’ brand and the number 18 overall brand in the UK according to Superbrands’ latest research.
• Established by Joseph William Thornton in 1911, Thorntons is one of the UK’s oldest chocolate retailers, headquartered in Derbyshire with more than 4,000 employees.
• Thorntons has 379 own stores, 37 of which have their own café, and 250 franchise stores across the country, as well as a strong direct (www.thorntons.co.uk) and commercial business, supplying all major supermarkets.
• Products range from gift selections, chocolate blocks to toffee and ice cream.
• Keith Hurdman is Thorntons Master Chocolatier. With over 25 years of experience in the industry, Keith is an unusual phenomena for the British chocolate industry as a home grown talent with extensive training with some of Europe’s finest confectioners and chocolatiers in Belgium, Switzerland and France. He is now widely recognised as one of the UK’s most talented chocolatiers. Keith has won a number of other awards including the International Belgian Chocolate Award and the highly acclaimed ‘Truffe d’ Or’ in 2000 as Champion Confectioner of Switzerland.